Thursday, May 08, 2008

Ubuntu 8.04 on HP DV6770SE: AMAZING! FTW!

I tried having linux blood on my laptop before and the results were not that pretty. I gave hardy heron a try and I'm impressed! It just works. My only complaint is that things don't just work after you put it on, which is what scared me on my previous attempt, but this time I decided to let google gimme a hand. I had to go through some steps to get my wifi and my video card to work (envyng which installs through synaptic).

After having my system playing nice with my hardware it was time to get the right softwares. I went looking for beryl, which is a nice eye-candy to have. I tried installing it several times until I found out that it was already installed and now they were calling it compiz. Cool, it'd have saved me some time if I knew it :( A nice addition to compiz: Avant Window Navigator, and the good news: synaptic can do it for you. Bad news: the applets are not in there, and you need them to get rid of the default top/bottom panels. I googled A LOT and found out that adding some repos:

  • deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/reacocard-awn/ubuntu/ hardy main
  • deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/reacocard-awn/ubuntu/ hardy main

and with some terminal commands which I can't help you with :( I got'em working.

One more thing, if you're a web developer looking for a nice php, javascript, css editor in linux, look no further, go for aptana. You'll need java runtime environment for that, they recommend the one from Sun, synaptic has it. I like aptana because the FTP function just works, and I like this a lot on web editing appz.

Well, linux ftw!!!!!!!